Thursday 5 November 2015



Library Project




During today's session we were starting to create a model/sculpture of something relating to books to put into the Plymouth City Library which we were then going to be commissioned for if they thought our piece was good and fitted in well with the library. For the first part of the day we were starting to discuss our ideas in our group as a table as to what we were going to do. Everyone had each done thumb nail sketches of their ideas and had eventually chosen a final idea that they were going to make. Lauren my teaching assistant was very eager to get me to start my project on that day, so I started mine straight away however at times I became very distant as I didn't have a great nights sleep from before so she told me to focus as we only had 3 days to complete it. After I eventually finished my thumb nail sketches we were given some time to buy and look for what we needed for our pieces, so me and Lauren went into town together to search for some. We first looked into this charity shop that sold books and clothes and other items. We were very lucky on the day because they had managed to keep a lot of their old books. Lauren found me a medium sized book with a hard back, It wasn't big nor small it was just the right side to make a piece out of. So I brought that book, The shop was a little busier than usual but they may have been due to it being a week day when the elderly go shopping and look for things they buy. I came across a very helpful lady that I purchased the book off as I was in a rush I'd hadn't put my card incorrectly, However like all shop cashiers she was very patient. I was eager to get back to the studio so I took big strides in my walking. When I got back I'd quickly ran up to the resources cupboard to ask for some black tissue paper. I was in luck as I knew as often in the past I'd been up to collect a laptop for Corey's lesson in IT and I'd come across a big selection of tissue paper. I went with black because I thought that the blackness would demonstrate my very dark appearance i.e my black hair. So I went with the black tissue paper idea I also got some paper straws on the way home as I thought they would act as good stained glass structures that usually hold the glass in place.I went over after college to pick some up but they didn't sell any they suggested two shops to me and they were Lawsons and Hobby Craft I tried Lawsons first as it was closest, When I got in my heart was racing as I knew what I was going to make so I didn't think to ask. I tried upstairs next as they sold kitchen resources.I wasn't in luck and time was getting on so I asked the woman working at the desk on the upstairs where I could find some. She directed me down stairs and they were at the back of the stair case. I chose the first one I saw purchased it and left the store in a hurry.When I got home I started to cover the book in tissue paper. The next day we were given the resources by Tweeney our teacher after we had shown our idea to Lucy. Then it was time to start our work in the wood tech room I had already started the book idea at home and had the rest of the day to complete it, the book was all tissue papered up and the black paint was on the covering. The next thing to do was to start decorating the stained glass windows I had planned for this I used colored tissue paper as the back coat then a film tape to stick on top after so that the colors shown through the tape. I had then made a long zig zag for the Library lights at the reception, the back bone of the book was going to be a cut out to represent a book worm bite. I have an idea to burn the outline of the book worm markings to show where they've been in the pages. 
Book with insect bites.
As you can see they look like holes made by a hole punch because their really deep it shows how deep book worms can really go. They even look a lot like those whirl hole punchers you can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment